Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cyberbullying

I am getting pretty sick and tired of this. Not because I am bullied, but because mass media blows it way out proportions. I checked my RSS feed today and saw that a Swedish newspaper had posted this:


"9 year old Amin's Facebook profile got stolen"

Not to be insensitive, but is this really news worthy? This is not the first time either. Why do people suddenly care so much about "cyberbullying". Remember the terrible movie "Cyberbu//y" from abc? I don't get why this is such a big deal. I mean, yes I know it's terrible for the children (I was very mildly bullied ~5 years ago) but I simply don't get why the news have to report on it like it's the biggest thing ever. Regular bullying have existed for far longer, but you rarely see headlines like "Amin 9 got bullied in school", but when it is on Facebook then it's newsworthy.
Maybe I am just stupid and don't see why this is newsworthy, but yeah I don't get it. What do I think you should do if you have problems regarding bullies on the Internet? Block people, change your privacy settings, distance yourself from the bullies, or better yet, don't sign up for sites like that if you do have a problem, because all it does is make you more vulnerable.

Here is the article, but it's in Swedish: Aftonbladet

3 comments:

  1. I think news outlets is confusing "Cyberbullying" for defaming sometimes. In which case defaming is a big deal on the internet. Many people include employers, take social networking sites seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They like taking something ubiquitous and make it sensational. Everyone knows of facebook, and since cyberbullying is a newer tendency than good old fashion bullying, they decide to blow it out of proportion. This is what happens when there is no real news to report. Also, nine years old shouldn't be wasting their time on facebook. I didn't even know 9 year olds could be on facebook. I thought 13 was the age limit. Kids these days should do less silly things and get back to having LAN parties with their friends and relatives like I did in the good old days. Some of the best times of my life where playing games till the early hours of the morning with my cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh LAN parties... Good times. Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, CS 1.6 and Team Fortress were amazing LAN games.
      My neighbor was a nerd and downloaded games from IRC over dial-up and burned them to CDs for me and my brother.

      Anyway, I think the age limit is ~13 on facebook, but you can have the approval of your parent and sigh up anyway, or something like that.

      Delete