Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Anime you should consider watching

As most of you probably know, I watch quite a bit of anime. I've recently watched a few shows which even I think even people who are not interested in anime would enjoy, so I thought I would make a list of some shows I really like. Most of them are already very famous and a lot of people have probably already heard of them. Anyway...

Genres: Action, Comedy, Supernatural

A guy named Otonashi wakes up only to learn that he is dead. A girl named Yuri explains to him that he is dead and is in the afterlife. Yuri is the leader of the "Afterlife Battlefront" and is at war against   someone called Tenshi. Yuri says that Tenshi is an angel and the enemy of the Afterlife Battlefront. Otonashi decided to ignore what Yuri says and walks up to Tenshi by himself. 
However the discussion doesn't go as Otonashi planned and he ends getting killed. Luckily for him, you can't die twice, so he awakes shortly after lying on a bed. Otonashi decides to join Yuri and the Afterlife Battlefront while he tries to get his memories back. He gradually unravels the mystery of the afterlife and get to know everyone stuck in it.

The anime brings up questions such why we are alive and what we actually want to do with our lives. I am not much for action, but there is a big chunk of comedy and philosophy in there as well. The ending so phenomenally put together and it's definitly one of my all time favorite shows.


Genres: Drama, Coming of Age.

A group of childhood friends drifts apart after one of them, Meiko "Menma" Honma, dies in an accident. Years later, the leader of the group, Jinta Yadomi, has become withdrawn and lives as a recluse. An older Meiko appears to him, and says that she must have a wish granted, though she does not know what it is.

I love this anime so much. I'm not sure if it's just me be being a crybaby, but I got teary eyes like 5 times during this show, and started crying during the last episode. It has a few flaws like all shows, but they are not really big enough to be distracting and ruin the show. It's not for everyone since it has a very serious tone, and no action, but for people who can enjoy drama this show should be very enjoyable. I'd also like to say that I really like the opening and ending.


Genres: Mystery, Supernatural, Romance

The story is about Araragi Koyomi who is a 17 year old boy who survived a vampire attack in the past. He became a vampire after the attack but was cured with the help of a mysterious man named "Meme Oshino" who is very knowledgeable when it comes to supernatural beings such as vampires, Gods and spirits. It's hard to summarize the story because the show is essentially 5 stories. All the stories are about one girl who has made contact with a supernatural being and needs Araragi's and Meme's help getting rid of it.

This show is very, very strange and "random". The stories are interesting, the characters are very interesting and the overall style of the show is very unique (or you could call it typical SHAFT style) with quite a bit of real life images throw in and such. I think this show is very interesting and worth watching. Don't let the first ~15 seconds fool you, it is pretty light on the fanservice. The squeal, Nisemonogatari, is on the other hand almost pure fanservice.
What really makes this show amazing are the characters, their stories and how they are told. I would also like to say that SHAFT did a fantastic job with the openings (all 5 of them) as well as the ending.
Edit: I should probably mention that while the show got a few fight scenes, ~90% of the time is just characters standing around talking to each other. Their discussions are very interesting, but in the end it is just characters talking, and talking, and talking, and talk...


Genres: Thriller, Psychological, Drama,  Magical Girl

Would you become a magical girl and fight witches if you in return got a wish granted? The wish could be whatever you wanted it to be. Money, fame, good health or whatever you want. The downside? A magical girl has to fight the evil forces called "witches". Madoka lived a pretty ordinary life until a mysterious girl transfers into her class. The girl, named Homura, tries to kill a mysterious created called Kyuubey. Madoka tries to save Kyuubey but while fleeing runs into a witch. She gets saved a powerful magical girl named Mami, who is a friend of Kyuubey. Madoka gets to know Kyuubey and other magical girls through the series.

I have gotten a ton of shit for watching and liking this show, and I understand why. It's really hard to take a show about magical girls seriously, but let me tell you one thing, this show is not some "cute girls doing cute things" show. As you could probably tell from the genres, this is a serious show with a very well written story and interesting characters. I have to say that the visuals are pretty terrible. Like a lot of shows made by SHAFT, they mix in real life images and the animated characters look pretty derpy if you ask me. Anyway it's still a really good show with a great story and great characters. Don't let the cute character design fool you.


Genres: Action, Drama, Mecha, Schi-Fi, Psychological

In the year 2015, the Angels, huge, tremendously powerful, alien war machines, appear in Tokyo for the second time. The only hope for Mankind's survival lies in the Evangelion, a humanoid fighting machine developed by NERV, a special United Nations agency. Capable of withstanding anything the Angels can dish out. One of the pilots is Shinji Ikari, whose father heads the NERV team that developed and maintains the Evangelion. Thrust into a maelstrom of battle and events that he does not understand, Shinji is forced to plumb the depths of his own inner resources for the courage and strength to not only fight, but to survive, or risk losing everything. 

I only recently watched Evangelion even though it's one of those "classics everyone has to see". Anyway, most of you have probably already heard of it. I enjoyed the show up until the ending, which I think most people will agree was terrible. Apparently they ran out of money and had to make up an ending as best as they could. It ended up being very confusing and leaving a ton of questions unanswered. Luckily they later released a movie which is the "real ending" (it pretends like the last two episodes in the TV series never happened) and while it is a lot better, it still leaves quite a bit of questions unanswered (had to ask /a/ which explained lots of things). It is overall a good show. The end of Evangelion is the sequel and Evangelion 1.0/2.0/3.0/4.0 are remakes of the series (3.0 and 4.0 are not released yet). Evangelion: Death & Rebirth is a summary of the TV show.


Genres: Comedy, Mystery, Supernatural, Sci-Fi

Kyon is a very typical high school student. He doesn't believe in the super natural and he didn't even believe in Santa as a child. When he starts high school he ends up in the same class as a girl called Haruhi Suzumiya. She introduces herself to the class in one of the strangest way possible, saying that she is not interested in any ordinary people. She then says that if anyone is an alien, time traveler or Esper (person with paranormal ability), they should come see her after school. She's a very peculiar girl. She has a new haircut each day, different colored hairband depending on the day, join every club on the school but never stay in them for more than like a day.
Kyon and Haruhi start chatting with each other and Haruhi forces Kyon to start a club with her, called "The SOS brigade" (Spreading Excitement all Over the World with Haruhi Suzumiya Brigade). She also "force" the quiet bookworm Yuki Nagato, the quite bookworm Yuki Nagato, the shy and adorable Mikuru Asahina as well as the always happy and polite Koizumi Itsuki to join the SOS Brigade. As it turns out, Kyon was wrong about the super natural not existing and the SOS Brigade often finds itself in deep trouble related to these supernatural powers.

This was the second anime (not counting those I watched when I were a child like Pokemon) I watched and it's one of the reasons I got hooked on anime. Kyon is by far one of my favorite fictional characters of all time, and he is the perfect protagonist for an anime like this. He is not only the main protagonist but also the narrator. He is very often sarcastic and facetious when narrating which I actually like quite a lot. The characters is really what makes this show great in my opinion. This show also has the best dubbing I've ever hear (at least for an anime), which is one of the reasons why I watched it when I started watching anime. The story is, like I said before, not the main thing this anime has going for it. The show is split up in different arcs (based on different novels) and it works very well if you ask me. The movie is, if you ask me, amazingly good. I would not recommend you to watch the movie without watching the show though since it involves time traveling and it visits episodes from the anime. Anyway, really fun show with great characters and a fantastic movie. 


Genres: Comedy, Romance

The story revolves around Ryuuji who is a high school student. He is in the same class as his best friend Yuusaku and also the girl he has a secret crush on, Minori. He is also in the same class a a little and very aggressive girl called Taiga, Minori's best friend, who happens to have a secret crush on Yuusaku. Taiga and Ryuuji soon gets to know each other and despite not liking each other, decides to help each other with their crushes. Ryuuji to help Taiga getting together with Yuusaku, and Taiga to help Ryuuji get together with Minori.

I think this is a brilliant love story. A lot of troll on /a/ calls it "the greatest love story ever told" and while they are trolls I is kind of true, at least for me. I haven't watched that many romances (except for anime romances which I seem to love for some reason) but this is the best one I have watched. I cried two or three times during it (again, maybe I am just a crybaby) and it also made me laugh lots of times. If you want a fun romance anime then I can definitely recommend this one.
Sorry for the blurry screenshot by the way. Not sure why that scene is so blurry.


Genres: Adventure, Drama, Romance

After 17 ordinary years on Earth, Makoto Konno's journey was about to be ended by a freak accident. Then, life gave her a reset button. With her new found time-leaping powers, she immediately sets out to wipe off all the little annoyances in her daily life, from failing grades to a confession from her best friend. As her time-leaps become more frequent, she is forced to realize that every change she makes has profound repercussions that she can't foresee... and should her powers fail her, the consequences could be disastrous... 

It was a while since I watched this so my memory is a bit blurry. Anyway, this is the only movie (except the Haruhi movie) I have listed here, and the reason for that is because I don't really watch a lot of anime movies. Anyway, this movie has a really good and interesting story. It's only about an hour and a half long but I loved every minute of it back when I watched it. The art and music are not anything special (the backgrounds are great though), but the characters and the story is really good.  The main message I got out of this movie is that you should live in the present, and not the future or past. Sounds cliche I know but I think it's a good message.


Well I am sure lots of people will disagree with me, but I think all of these shows/movies are great. By the way, I have noticed that trailers for anime are usually terrible. I looked up the trailer for both Haruhi and the girl who leapt through time and they were both terrible.

3 comments:

  1. For someone who doesn't really care for anime, I loved FLCL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know English. Subtitles would take away from passive watching. Are these all of these spoken English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well a few of the shows have been dubbed. However, dubs usually suck so it's not really recommended. The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya have been dubbed and it's actually pretty good as far as dubs goes, so check that out. Both seasons, as well as the movie have been dubbed.
      I should probably warn you though, there are 3 different orders you can watch it in. The DVD order, chronological order and original airing order. I recommend the chronological order, and I am pretty sure most torrents have them in that order.

      Delete