Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Nvidia GTX 690 revealed

Nvidia did a paper launch of the GTX 690 yesterday and overall it seems like there is just one major flaw with the card, but I'll get to that later. Let's check out how the card performs.


Specifications
The specifications are pretty much what you would expect. It's two slightly downclocked 680 on a single card.



Performance
Since it is just a paper launch, the only benchmarks available will be the ones from Nvidia. More and better benchmarks will be available on sites such as Anandtech and TechPowerUp the 3rd March because that's when the real card is released.
Here are the benchmarks from Nvidia.




Price, launch date and conclusion.
The card will be available the 3rd March and the MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) is 999 US dollars. That's obviously the big flaw with this card. The performance figures we have right now looks amazing, and I don't see that much reason to doubt them. However, with such a high price I don't think the card is worth it. I think Nvidia summed it up pretty well in their article:
>At a MSRP of $999, it's not a graphics card for everyone. But for enthusiasts who demand the very best and gamers who want a graphics card that will last for generations, the GeForce GTX 690 represents the ultimate in gaming from NVIDIA.
Not sure if I agree with that "last for generations" part but the other stuff is pretty much spot on. I am surprised that AMD still haven't said anything about the 7990, or whatever they decide to call their dual GPU card, yet. 

Source: Nvidia.com


3 comments:

  1. Considering the fact that this card is double the price, and doesn't even reach double the performance of a 680, I can see no reason for people to buy this card.
    Ok, I guess if people are running out of pci slots and absolutely need the 2 GPU's in 1 then sure.
    But I can't imagine it's a problem that most people have.

    Although I have to admit, it is one sexy looking card.

    Keep up the great blog posts, I do prefer your blog to any other tech news site I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's insane, I think hardware is getting faster than software after all.

    Still, the only thing I do is play 2hu so I don't need one of these.

    ReplyDelete