Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Why Gizmodo is a shitty site

It's been quite a long time since I sat down and read an article on Gizmodo so I decided to do that today, and I instantly remembered why I quit reading their crap they like to call "articles".

It's Time to Exterminate the Mouse
With a title like that (and being on one of worst technology related blogs on the Internet, Gizmodo) you know you're in for a pile of ignorance and Apple !@#" sucking.

>If you're buying a new computer and it comes with a mouse you're probably looking at a shitty machine bundled with a relic. The age of the mouse is over. Anyone pushing them with new computers is selling crap.
Right of the bat I want to strangle the guy who wrote this (apparently someone named Mat Honan), but I'll restrain myself. As far as I know, the only company who does not bundle their machines with a mouse (if the machine comes with input devices at all, and not counting laptops/netbooks) is Apple, which basically means that our dear friend Mat is saying that all computers except Apple ones with the "magic" track pad, and laptops are crap. I guess you could say that ordering separate parts and putting them together yourself wouldn't count as buying crap but I doubt the guys over at Gizmodo even know how to put a computer together.

>I'm so tired of mice. I've gotten used to touchscreens, and trackpads, and now whenever I have to use a simple pointer, I feel like I've traveled back in time.
Sounds like you're a Macfag who owns an iPad and a MacBook Air or something, and only use it to write crappy articles on Gizmodo and browse facebook, but if you used your computer for more than those very simple things then you wouldn't have that anti-mouse attitude. I totally understand that Mat does not need a mouse, and neither does most people who use a computer, because they only use it for very simple tasks like checking facebook but saying that we should kill the mouse completely is like saying we should kill all doctors because most people aren't sick enough to need them.

>When was the last time you were like, "damn, this is a great mouse and I enjoy using it?"
>Odds are, if you have had that experience in the last five years, it's been with a mouse that does a lot more than simple mousing. It probably had a touchpad on its top, or a gyroscope inside of it, or other way to manipulate data in a non-linear, two-dimensional fashion.
Last time I thought about it? About 3 years ago when I got my Logitech G500. I really like the feel of it and it fits my hand almost perfectly. It's basically a standard mouse, but higher quality and with better than average components (like a really good sensor). It does not have for example an accelerometer or a touchpad.

>The Macintosh took it mainstream in 1984, and for nearly 30 years now it's been giving us all a way to move a curser around the screen and select. And little more.
The keyboard dates back to 1930 (or even further back depending on what you can classify as a keyboard), and it is still the best input device available. Old does not equal bad.

>Today at any given time we may be running 20 apps at once, with a dozen or more browser windows open, while trying to sort through more data in a few seconds than an early Cray supercomputer saw over the course of its lifetime. And yet we still use tools designed for a simpler time, with simpler needs.
I find it very hard to believe that you actually have 20 programs running at once (and actively use). I consider myself a quite heavy multitasker and I often find myself using ~5 programs at once, but I pretty much ever goes above ~8, at least not if you count programs I actively use (Having 4 different IMs running does not equal 4 active programs for example).
Actually, you're the one with simple needs. I've been doing quite a bit of image editing and drawing these past weeks and doing things like that is pretty much impossible without a mouse or drawing tablet. A mouse is also a lot better than a trackpad when dealing with multiple windows spanning across multiple screens. Moving one window across 3 screens with a trackpad is a major pain in the ass because you either have to have very very high sense (making it very hard to do precise maneuvers) or drop the window and pic it up again multiple times. It is very impractical.

>the thing we've all been waiting for [...]  is already here. It's gesture-based computing, and your operating system already supports it.
I use gestures ever day, with my mouse. I got a very good Firefox addon installed called FireGestures which I use to switch between tabs, download without going into the right click menu, reload pages and much more. You don't have to have a touch interface to use gestures.

>Gesture-based computing gives us far more precision and control over the interface.
Touch screens are far less accurate than a mouse. If you had to press on a specific pixel on the screen then you would have much more success with a mouse than a touch screen.

>We can perform complex actions that once required keyboard shortcuts, with just our fingertips.
You do know that we use out fingertips to activate keyboard shortcuts, right? Anyway, I prefer pressing a buttons in order to do an action, instead of for example swiping two fingers across a surface without any kind of tactile feedback. One example of this is the use of the mouse side buttons to go back and forward in my web browser. Much faster and more convenient than swiping two fingers across a flat surface.

Well I've vented my anger now. Gizmodo is crap and you shouldn't read it. If this article wasn't enough then just look at some of their other "quality" technology articles like these:

What the Hell Happened to Apple's Attention to Detail

Science Proves Getting Back with Your Ex Is an Awful Idea

NSA: Anonymous Could Cause Power Outages Through Syberattacks

SkyDrive Gives Windows 8 More Cloud Powers than OS X

Is Google TV Getting a Siri Clone

Also, what's up with capitalizing the first letters in some words in the middle of the sentence? I could kind of understand if they did it with all words, or only the first one, but not doing it to all words, except a few like "to", "the", "with", "an" and so on.
Disregard that last part, I'm stupid.

1 comment:

  1. >Also, what's up with capitalizing the first letters in some words in the middle of the sentence? I could kind of understand if they did it with all words, or only the first one, but not doing it to all words, except a few like "to", "the", "with", "an" and so on.
    That's a concept in English grammar called title case - only certain words don't get capitalized. Can't fault Jizzmodo for that - it's the English language's fault (not sarcasm - even native speakers get confused by this).
    Much love from Ubuntufriend - looking forward to our next argument in an OS X troll thread! <3

    ReplyDelete